Published April 17, 2016
You have the vision and enthusiasm to run an event to raise money for your cause.
Of course, running a successful fundraising event is easier said than done.
So no matter how big or small the fundraiser is, there’s one thing that always attributes to their success.
The first thing you MUST do is plan well ahead of time (at least six months). This is very important so you have time to line up the key ingredients for your event.
Here’s what you’ll need to be thinking about at six months out:
- What type of event will you hold? You want to have fun, of course, and draw lots of people. It’s very important to keep the type of event you choose engaging. Think of events people would want to be involved in and share with the people in their networks. The main draw is FUN.
- When and where will you hold your event? The good old saying of LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is also an important thing to think about. The venue helps get people excited about your fundraiser.This is why it’s important to start at least six months out so you can lock down a date and time at the venue of your choice. Now Quebec Place at Fairmount is the perfect venue for your event. They can have from 50-200 people. They space is flexible and can fit all of your needs.
- Who can you get to sponsor your event? The short answer is anyone and everyone. Start with your company and local businesses. Remember, companies use this as advertising. Treat this like a business opportunity for them. Most companies, especially local businesses have a budget to do this every year. So the earlier you start asking for free stuff like goodie bags and donations the better.
- Are you going to need prizes? YES! Prizes are almost as important as the venue. People really look forward to not only donating to a great cause but maybe winning something as well. Prizes and cool interactive experiences really get people excited and donating more money. Be creative and customize the prizes towards your cause. Anything goes here, just start early asking for your donations.
- Is there going to be food? People love to eat. Whether it’s breakfast (an easy buffet will do), lunch, or dinner (people will always remember a good dinner). Rocky Mountain Catering Company has grown to 180 staff and over 2600 square feet of kitchen space. This award winning Denver caterer offers options for groups of 25 or more, and customizes the experience to fit your vision.
- Will you need volunteers? Volunteers are important and will save you money. Reach out to friends, colleagues, and family members. Make sure you use social media to reach out to not only your contacts but to leverage your their contacts as well. Asking is a powerful thing!
Your fundraising event is both an exciting and overwhelming time. Start your planning process early and keep your event fun. Remember people love a great venue, excellent food, and prizes!